Hello friend! I’m glad you’re here!
In the last few weeks I have concocted a natural sunblock potion that is luxurious, healthy and effective! I have never liked how generic sunblock feels on my skin, the smell, and that it is full of chemicals & toxins. In the last year or so I have been on the bang wagon of making my own lotions, lip balms, deodorant, etc. due to minimizing my toxic load and assisting in my past autoimmune thyroid disease reversal (which you can read about HERE).
In 2016, I researched and found a relatively natural sunblock with the primary ingredient zinc oxide, but it was discontinued this past spring. I was somewhat disappointed, but especially after I found out very last minute I was vacationing to Hawaii. So, I was desperate for a natural sunblock and fast! I found a natural sunblock recipe from Wellness Mama, and tweaked it a bit and made it my own. (I’ve used her recipes for other homemade items in the past, and loved how they turned out.)
After 6 days of lots of strong Hawaiian sun, I took a risk and only used my homemade block, and guess what?!?! It totally protected my all day, everyday, sun exposed skin on the beach and hiking, etc.! All that changed with my skin is that I got a zillion more freckles (which I love!) and was slightly pink for a day, but I found it to be just as good as others blocks, EXCEPT way BETTER!!!
A few things I absolutely love about my sunblock!
☀️ Applies on easy
☀️ Absorbs well, leaving no residue
☀️ Thin, light & silky
☀️ Smell is fresh & mild
☀️ Hydrates & nourishes skin
☀️ Works incredibly w/ acne prone skin
☀️ Healthy w/ zero chemicals & toxins
☀️ Protects & restores sun exposed skin
My Sunblock Recipe
FYI – It’s SUPER EASY to make!
- 3/4 cup Jojoba oil (similar oil to that of skin oil, & naturally a SPF 4)
- ¼ cup Coconut oil (naturally a SPF 2 – 8 )
- ¼ cup Beeswax (natural barrier from environmental harms, & locks in moisture, but allowing it to breath)
- 3 Tablespoons Zinc Oxide (Be careful to not inhale).
- 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil (antioxidant that protects from free-radical damage; protects + prevents damage from UV ray light; & reduces inflammation)
- 2 tablespoons Shea Butter (naturally a SPF 6 and very nourishing/hydrating to the skin, also can reduce inflammation)
- Essential Oils: Lavender or any essential oil of choice (accelerate healing for burns. Avoid any citrus essential oil as it increases sun sensitivity)
(from Wellness Mama)
- Combine ingredients except zinc oxide in a pint sized or larger glass jar. I have a mason jar that I keep just for making lotions and lotion bars, or you can even reuse a glass jar from pickles, olives, or other foods.
- Fill a medium saucepan with a couple inches of water and place over medium heat.
- Put a lid on the jar loosely and place in the pan with the water.
- As the water heats, the ingredients in the jar will start to melt. Shake or stir occasionally to incorporate. When all ingredients are completely melted, add the zinc oxide, stir in well and pour into whatever jar or tin you will use for storage.
- Small mason jars (pint size) are great for this. It will not pump well in a lotion pump!
- Stir a few times as it cools to make sure zinc oxide is incorporated.
- Store at room temperature
I vacationed Hawaii with this lovely sister of mine and after she first applied my block her reaction was perfect, “This feels like a nourishing mask!”
Thanks for reading, I hope this post enlightened you! Again, my sunblock is legit, and I literally couldn’t be more happy with how it turned out and it’s effectiveness! One last thing — when I was back home my other sister commented on my skin and totally thought I’d come back looking like a lobster, and she was surprised that I didn’t even look the slightest red! Now that says it all, especially being a redhead!! Huzzah!
If you are seeking more information on anything from this post, check out my sources, as there is a lot more in depth information on benefits of the ingredients, etc. or feel free to comment!
Together, lets bring healthy back!
Shea Butter Benefits and Uses for Skin, Hair, Baby Care & More