I’m super excited to share with you, my journey in how I balanced my thyroid and reversed my Hashimoto’s disease! It has been a long, almost 15 years of frustration, despair, and empowerment. I see it now as a beautiful journey, because it has shaped a section of me and has enhanced the way I see myself, others, and how happy and free I feel! I’m sharing you my journey specifics to enlighten, inspire, and empower you, so you can bring healthy back!
First, lets define what the thyroid and Hashimoto’s disease is-
The thyroid is a butterfly looking endocrine gland in the front neck that is responsible for producing hormones that contribute to our metabolic health, functions of our organs, body systems, and so on. It’s also contributes in body temperature regulation.
Hashimoto’s disease is an autoimmune disease of the thyroid. When one has an autoimmune disease, it involves your immune system attacking a specific organ, endocrine or part of the body. In my case, my immune system was attacking every good part of my anatomical thyroid. When this occurs, the thyroid isn’t able to perform it’s God-made functions, and in turn other parts of the body that rely on a healthy operating thyroid, have a decrease in energy frequency, and operation.
My Thyroid Journey:
It began when I was 16 years old, being diagnosed with Hypothyroid (meaning low thyroid hormone levels). My mom first brought it up to my attention, as she had Hypothyroid in the past and because I was showing symptoms of it, which were: weight gain (and I couldn’t lose weight w/ diet & exercise), hair loss, always felt cold, fatigue, low energy, dry skin, constipation, mild depression, and a puffy face. I went to the doctor that year and my blood work showed I was positive.
It was devastating, confusing, and overwhelming as a teenager, as I had just learned a year prior of other big health issues. I was prescribed, Armour Thyroid, which is a natural form of pig thyroid hormones. Within, the next one to two years I had lost lots of weight due to diet change and increased thyroid function. I knew my thyroid meds were working for me, since my body was releasing my extra weight, because I have never ever been able to lose weight no matter the effort I put in, when it’s been out of wack.
Years later, at 20 years or so I went off my thyroid medication, and I’m not completely sure why. I vaguely remember that I felt good and the belief that my thyroid could function without medication. Although, that wasn’t the case. Over time, low thyroid symptoms started creeping back. During my early to mid twenties, I went through emotional hell and I was not able to focus on my physical health much, besides establishing healthy eating habits, and weekly physical movement. I put every other physical health need on the back burner.
During my 26th year I was feeling extremely yucky. I had extremely low energy, low mental clarity, fatigue, extreme depression, extra weight that would not release whatsoever. I was again back to square one where I had been 10 years before. I finally gave myself the time and conscious effort to look into what the heck was going on with my body! I went to my naturalist doctor and received the news that I had Hashimoto’s (defined above), which was a step further in the negative direction of Hypothyroid. I had all the feelings from my first experience of diagnoses. I was surprised by my response, because it was different then my first experience. First, I did feel sad, but I had lots of hope, knowing I was in a better place emotionally and mentally, and I have so much more knowledge and health experience, as its been a big part of my life. So I was determined to take action, and help my body as much as I could, in the best ways I knew how.
Having Hashimoto’s is determined by your antibody levels. Below are my blood lab reports from left to right: Nov 2016 and May 2017. What a difference in all my levels! In May, I teared up at my appointment with excitement! I DID it! I had reversed the autoimmune part and now I just have low thyroid tendencies (w/out meds). I have decided to continue to take my prescription, WP Thyroid for now and reevaluate in the future. To learn about other thyroid medications and what is your best fit according to Izabella Wentz, Pharm D, go HERE.
You may be asking, how did I did I do it? Here is an outline of all the things that contributed to my thyroid’s healthy back journey!
- Keto Lifestyle. Most people know this as a diet, but for me it’s not. It’s a lifestyle that will be part of me the rest of my life, because my body responds very positive to it in many ways. My Keto lifestyle, consists of macro diet ratio: 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs.The high fat content is extremely nourishing to the body tissues, nerves and systems, plus it encourages body fat-loss, which can be positive to the body’s energy and operation. I began Keto in January 2017, just two months after my Hashimoto’s diagnoses. I was introduced to Keto through a startup company that released a Keto shake. I was seeing incredible and fast fat-loss results among those in that company I associated with. It definitely caught my attention, and I began hard research on the Keto diet. I learned from blogs, reading official research and listening to credible podcasts about the benefits of doing Keto. This then lead to the thought of, well, if Keto can help assist in reversing Type 2 Diabetes, Cancer, etc., then maybe it can possibly help my thyroid and heal it! I did even more research, and there wasn’t much based on the diet and thyroid balance, but my intuition kicked in and let me know, this is for you, so I started immediately!I was extremely diligent doing the strict macro, Keto rule till April 2017. In that time, I had lost 15 inches (measuring 5 areas of the body). I don’t measure by lbs., because I am negatively affected by scales (as I have had eating disorders). For the sake of my sanity, and emotional stability, inches lost and how I fit into clothes is how I guide fat loss. The Keto lifestyle has been incredible for me since the beginning. I am now a little more flexible with carb intake, but guess what? I’m still losing! I measured myself this week, and I’ve lost an additional 4.5 inches. Those first 4 months, was indeed beneficial to my thyroid health and totally positively reset my body. As a tip, the Keto diet encourages all forms of fat for intake. The only fat I was careful of was dairy, except cheese. Also, I hardly eat grains, as I found these two food groups increase inflammation in my body. Just so you know! Watch the beginning and mid part of my Keto journey at WEEK 1 and WEEK 7. Also, if you’d like to learn more about the Keto diet+things, I highly recommend referring to Leanne Vogel’s, website The Healthful Pursuit as she is a Keto expert, and Dr. Axe’s intro Keto article HERE.
- Hashimoto’s Protocol: A 90-Day Plan for Reversing Thyroid Symptoms and Getting your Life Back by Izabella Wentz Pharm D, FASCP. This book changed my life! Izabella is incredibly knowledgeable, has a background in pharmaceuticals and has experienced this disease personally. When I bought her book a month after starting Keto, I had been doing most of the things she recommends for reversing Hashimoto’s for a few months. That made me feel better and reassured, since her approach is natural, and due to the amount of info out there regarding this disease. I narrowed it down to a few things on my own and stuck with a plan and Izabella’s plan was much like mine (but way more in depth), so I was drawn to her and her newly released book. As I applied and tweaked to her suggestions in her different protocols, I made sure I was absolutely consistent. Consistency makes all the difference when trying to achieve anything! I HIGHLY recommend her book to anyone with Hashimoto’s and those with an autoimmune disease. Check it out HERE. Just to share a glimpse of what’s addressed in her book, here are the three main protocols she targets for reversal (there are more):
- Liver Protocol
- Adrenal Recovery Protocol
- Gut Balance Protocol
- Supplements. As per Izabella’s protocols she recommends supplements. I was taking several before and then added a few into my regimen as I read her protocols. These are the supplements I take to help regulate, support the thyroid, decrease antibodies and assist in liver, adrenal and gut health.
- Selenium: mineral/nutrient found to reduce thyroid antibodies and anxiety
- Chlorophyll: cleans out the blood of any harmful things, including heavy metals
- Bone Broth: supports healthy gut balance & restores damage in the digestive system
- Essential Fatty Acids (Omegas): balances HDL & LDL, supports body tissues, and reduces inflammmation
- Hypothalamus herb tincture: supports the Hypothalamus gland, which is the master endocrine gland of the body
- Turmeric: contains curcumin, a natural anti-inflammatory which lowers antibodies
- Digestive Enzymes: supports gut health, by assisting the body to properly assimilate & absorb food
- Probiotics: balance gut flora, so the digestive system can properly function
- Vitamin C: is an essential vitamin for proper adrenal function
- Magnesium: supports healthy DHEA levels; promotes restful sleep, muscle relaxation, and healthy bowel movement
- Amino Acids: supports liver detox
- Energy Work : BodyTalk. I had a few different BodyTalk practitioners work on me to address my body’s thyroid and other priorities to assist the “whole” to balance. As I am a BodyTalk practitioner, I know how effective it is in restoring connection, balance and harmony in the body. One of my sessions included a thyroid reset, and body reset. Other sessions included emotionally addressing issues I’ve had on my self-worth, body image, and the result with my past negative relationship with food. Also, I was regularly conscious of my thyroid. By this I mean, I held my thyroid and exuded and illuminated LOVE and GRATITUDE verbally, emotionally, and energetically. Also, I thanked my body daily for operating the best it could, and getting me from place to place without pain. I know the incredible power of words and feelings in consciousness based healing. This without a doubt was a huge factor in the healing process.
I hope you’ve been inspired, empowered and hopeful for your own health journey. I have complete confidence you can do it! And I know our bodies have the ability to heal themselves, refer to my video on that topic HERE.
So there you go! That’s how I reversed by Hashimoto’s disease and restored thyroid balance. One of the many positive outcomes of my journey is I have lost a total of 18+ inches in 8 months. I’m down 2 pants size! Here are my current before and after images, as I am still losing weight.
If you have any questions, or would like one-on-one support for your thyroid health, contact me for an consultation! Together, lets bring your healthy back!
This page provides information from my personal experience and education only. It is not to be considered medical advice. I’ve tried my best to keep the information contained in this post as accurate and updated as possible, but I make no guarantee of the accurateness of the same.