*updated Jan. 2022
I am excited to share with you my thyroid journey and how I have managed my hypothyroidism and healed/reversed my Hashimoto’s disease in 6 months! Yes reversed!
When I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at 16 years and Hashimoto’s at 26 years I felt so much frustration, despair, and also empowerment. I see it now as a beautiful journey, because it has shaped a section of me and has enhanced my life many ways. I’m sharing you my journey specifics to enlighten, inspire, and empower you, so you can bring healthy back!
First, lets define what the thyroid is-
The thyroid is a small butterfly shaped looking endocrine gland in the front neck that is responsible for producing hormones that contribute to our metabolic health, functions of our organs, body systems, and so on. It’s also contributes in body temperature regulation. It produces trriodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) that is responsible for all these things listed above. It has an ENORMOUS impact on our health.
Next, Hashimoto’s disease is an autoimmune disease of the thyroid. When one has an autoimmune disease, it involves the immune system attacking a specific organ, endocrine or part of the body. In my case, my immune system was attacking every good part of my anatomical thyroid. When this occurs, the thyroid isn’t able to perform its God-made functions, and in turn other parts of the body that rely on a healthy operating thyroid, have a decrease in energy frequency, and operation.
My Thyroid Journey
It began when like I said when I was 16 years old, being diagnosed with hypothyroidism (meaning low thyroid hormone levels). My mom first brought it up to my attention, as she had hypothyroidism in the past and because I was showing symptoms of it, which were: weight gain (and I couldn’t lose weight w/ diet & exercise), hair loss, always felt cold, fatigue, low energy, dry skin, constipation, mild depression, and a puffy face. I went to the doctor that year and my blood work showed I was positive.
It was devastating, confusing, and overwhelming as a teenager, as I had just learned a year prior of other big health issues. I was prescribed, Armour Thyroid, which is a form of pig thyroid hormones. Within, the next one to two years I had lost lots of weight due to diet change and increased thyroid function. I knew my thyroid meds were working for me, since my body was releasing my extra weight, because I have never ever been able to lose weight no matter the effort I put in, when it’s been out of wack.
Years later, at 20 years or so I went off my thyroid medication, and I’m not completely sure why. I vaguely remember that I felt good and the belief that my thyroid could function without medication. Although, that wasn’t the case. Over time, low thyroid symptoms started creeping back. During my early to mid twenties, I went through emotional hell and I was not able to focus on my physical health much, besides establishing healthy eating habits, and weekly physical movement. I put every other physical health need on the back burner.
During my 26th year I was feeling extremely yucky. I had extremely low energy, low mental clarity, fatigue, extreme depression, extra weight that would not release whatsoever. I was again back to square one where I had been 10 years before. I finally gave myself the time and conscious effort to look into what the heck was going on with my body! I went to my naturalist doctor and received the news that I had Hashimoto’s (defined above), which was a step further in the negative direction of Hypothyroid. I had all the feelings from my first experience of diagnoses. I was surprised by my response, because it was different then my first experience. First, I did feel sad, but I had lots of hope, knowing I was in a better place emotionally and mentally, and I have so much more knowledge and health experience, as its been a big part of my life. So I was determined to take action, and help my body as much as I could, in the best ways I knew how.
Having Hashimoto’s is determined by antibody levels. Below are my blood lab reports from left to right: Nov 2016 and May 2017. What a difference in all my levels! In May, I teared up at my appointment with excitement! I DID it! I had reversed the autoimmune part and now I just have low thyroid tendencies (w/out meds). I have decided to continue to take my prescription, WP Thyroid for now and reevaluate in the future. To learn about other thyroid medications and what is your best fit according to Izabella Wentz, Pharm D, go HERE.
You may be asking, how did I did I do it? Here is an outline of all the things that contributed to my thyroid’s healthy back journey!
- Nutrition. I began eating more plant based, minimal dairy, no gluten and minimal sugar (only fruit), and healthy non-animal fats. I was already pretty healthy with my diet, but I tightened things up by focusing on fruits, veggies, brown rice, quinoa, couscous, almonds, avocado, coconut, etc. We are what we eat, and I know my intentional nutrition plan contributed to lowering stress, inflammation and creating balance in my body.
- Hashimoto’s Protocol: A 90-Day Plan for Reversing Thyroid Symptoms and Getting your Life Back by Izabella Wentz Pharm D, FASCP. This book changed my life! Izabella is incredibly knowledgeable, has a background in pharmaceuticals and has experienced this disease personally. When I bought her book a month after focusing on a plant based diet, I had been doing most of the things she recommends for reversing Hashimoto’s for a few months. That made me feel better and reassured, since her approach is natural, and due to the amount of info out there regarding this disease. I narrowed it down to a few things on my own and stuck with a plan and Izabella’s plan was much like mine (but way more in depth), so I was drawn to her and her newly released book. As I applied and tweaked to her suggestions in her different protocols, I made sure I was absolutely consistent. Consistency makes all the difference when trying to achieve anything! I HIGHLY recommend her book to anyone with Hashimoto’s and those with an autoimmune disease. Check it out HERE. Just to share a glimpse of what’s addressed in her book, here are the three main protocols she targets for reversal (there are more):
- Liver Protocol: the liver has an important role in thyroid hormone metabolism and the level of thyroid hormones is also important to normal hepatic function.
- Adrenal Recovery Protocol: 90% of Hashimoto’s patients are dealing with a degree of adrenal fatigue. When we are more stressed (adrenals are responsible for managing stress). This includes emotional, physical, mental, environmental stress. There’s something about the adrenals and their relationship to the thyroid, and I can tell you doing this protocol was a huge component of my healing.
- Gut Balance Protocol: “All disease begins in the gut” – Hippocrates. Some scientists estimate that a third to half of all the molecules in our blood come from microbial metabolites. They interact with our genes, hormones, immune system, brain chemistry, and every single process in our biology. Sadly, our gut micobiome isn’t what it used to be. We eat gut busting foods, live a gut-busting lifestyle and take gut-busting drugs. (Dr. Mark Hyman)
- Supplements. As per Izabella’s protocols she recommends supplements. I was taking several before and then added a few into my regimen as I read her protocols. These are the supplements I take to help regulate, support the thyroid, decrease antibodies and assist in liver, adrenal and gut health.
- Multi-essential: “essential” meaning our body can’t produce it. This is the foundation to the house. You can basic needs met and its absolutely essential for the whole house structure.
- Essential Fatty Acids (Omegas): balances HDL & LDL, supports body tissues, brain and reduces inflammation
- Selenium: mineral/nutrient found to reduce thyroid antibodies and anxiety
- Vitamin D: important for bone and immune system health.
- Adrenal Support: supports the Hypothalamus gland and Adrenal glands (there’s 2 that sit on each kidney). The hypothalamus works closely with the pituitary gland (the master endocrine gland – it releases hormones to all endocrines, so that they then may produce more hormones and create balance and homeostasis in the body) of the body affects the health of all endocrine glands: pituitary, pineal, thyroid, thymus, adrenals, pancreas, ovaries or testes. Buy it HERE
- Digestive Enzymes: supports gut health, by assisting the body to properly assimilate & absorb food.
- Probiotics: balance gut flora, so the digestive system can properly function. Buy my favorite HERE
- Bone Broth: supports healthy gut balance & restores damage in the digestive system
- Turmeric: It is used in Ayurvedic medicine as a digestive healing agent. It contains curcumin, a natural anti-inflammatory which can help with gut inflammation and gut permeability, two measures of digestive efficiency.
- Vitamin C: is an essential vitamin for proper adrenal function
- Magnesium: supports healthy DHEA levels; promotes restful sleep, muscle relaxation, and healthy bowel movement
- Liver tincture: This tincture is a blend of herbs that support the elimination of waste products through the body’s detoxification pathways. Supporting your liver pathways can help with the appearance of healthy skin as well as hormone balance and energy levels. Buy my favorite HERE
All other supplements links can be found at http://www.pureforyou.com
- BodyTalk Energy Therapy I had a few different BodyTalk practitioners work on me to address my body’s thyroid and other priorities to assist the “whole” to balance. As I am a BodyTalk practitioner, I know how effective it is in restoring connection, balance and harmony in the body. One of my sessions included a thyroid reset, and body reset. Other sessions included emotionally addressing issues I’ve had on my self-worth, body image, and the result with my past negative relationship with food. Also, I was regularly conscious of my thyroid. By this I mean, I held my thyroid and exuded and illuminated LOVE and GRATITUDE verbally, emotionally, and energetically. Also, I thanked my body daily for operating the best it could, and getting me from place to place without pain. I know the incredible power of words and feelings in consciousness based healing. This without a doubt was a huge factor in the healing process.
- Talk Therapy helped increase my throat chakra (chakras spinning vortexes of energy that are aligned on the spine, it gives rise to different things). I began in January 2017. By default I never talked about my feelings and sure stuffed them for 27 years of my life. As I had a safe place to literally vomit out words, traumatic experiences and feelings it contributed to the health of my thyroid. For one, I lost about 20 lbs that year and that wasn’t my focus at all. I never have lost weight like that without focus. It was crazy. But what this showed was me not expressing my feelings, boundaries, etc. put a constriction on my throat chakra which directly can affect the thyroid. My energy was better, I became more expressive (definitely has been a learning curve), and courage to stand up for myself.
- Ho’oponopono: the Hawaiian prayer for “I’m sorry”, please forgive me, thank you, I love you”. More on my journey with this HERE
- Meditation and Nature: I made intentional effort to do more yoga, do daily breathing exercise, and spend time in nature. This was so to decrease mental and emotional stress to help support and restore my adrenal glands.
I hope you’ve been inspired, empowered and hopeful for your own health journey. I have complete confidence you can do it! And I know our bodies have the ability to heal themselves, refer to my video on that topic HERE.
So there you go! That’s how I reversed by Hashimoto’s disease and restored thyroid balance.
If you have any questions, or would like one-on-one support for your thyroid health, contact me for an consultation! Together, lets bring your healthy back!
This page provides information from my personal experience and education only. It is not to be considered medical advice. I’ve tried my best to keep the information contained in this post as accurate and updated as possible, but I make no guarantee of the accurateness of the same.