I have been loving my mouth cleaning routine! In the last two years I have transitioned to natural products all across the board, including products for my mouth!
Here is information to all products I use on the daily!
1. Redmond Earthpaste – Natural Non-Flouride Toothpaste
Redmond Earthpaste is fluoride free, no glycerin, no SLS, no coloring, non-GMO. I switched to this as it’s free of harmful chemicals, so I could balance and restore optimal thyroid function. (NOTE I switched to this toothpaste from Tom’s brand. Tom’s isn’t completely natural, contains SLS.)
The 5 health dangers of using fluoride as reported by NRC:
- Dental issues: fluoride was suggested to aid in healthy teeth, but in fact it’s now reported to have the opposite effect.
- Bone Fractures: members of the NRC committee concluded that it weakness bones and in turn increases bone fractures
- Skeletal Fluorosis: may be contributing to joint pain, stiffness and weakness
- Endocrine effects: all can be affected, but the primary endocrine targeted, the thyroid. That is the number one reason I switched to fluoride-free toothpaste, since I have low thyroid, and in the past had Hashimoto’s disease.
Redmond toothpaste natural ingredient list –
Bentonite Clay, Xylitol, Sea Salt, Activated Charcoal, Essential Oils (anise, fennel)
Testimonial: My friend told me this week that he’d recently switched to fluoride-free toothpaste, and has felt a positive physical difference in his mental clarity! Amazing!
2. Desert Essence – Tea Tree Oil dental floss
Like toothpaste, dental floss can have similar health dangers.
Benefits of using this floss below. It is naturally waxed with beeswax and saturated with inherently antiseptic Tea Tree Oil.
• Thicker than floss for wider spaces between teeth.
• No alcohol, artificial color or synthetic perfumes.
3. Baking Soda
I started whitening my teeth with baking soda in the last year. In the past, I used professional whitening tubes from my dentist, which is pricey and full of chemicals. I looked into a natural alternative in assisting my energetic flow for my hypothyroid. I researched and discovered baking soda was my answer. I wanted to verify that my enamel was safe by being exposed to this, so, at my next teeth cleaning I asked my dentist’s opinion. I got a very positive yes and clear explanation!
Baking soda has gentle abrasiveness to get stains off. After I brush and floss every night, I apply it with my damp toothbrush head and dip it in dry baking soda. I then apply over my teeth and let it sit for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then brush and rinse. TADA! And the other benefit of this is, you can whiten every tooth! Unlike, strips and trays they don’t cover your entire mouth. Lastly, it’s great at killing bacteria!
4. Hydrogen Peroxide
I was asked by a friend if I use mouthwash. And in the last month I started using hydrogen peroxide to to attack remaining bad bacteria and infections…which helps with preventing cavities! Also, peroxide is killer for whitening teeth like baking soda, but more specifically maintaining the whiteness.
TIP! Put a few drops of Peppermint essential oil in with HP to make it taste more like mouthwash to get that fresh minty! Also, it is great for healthy digestion, which is where it starts. in the mouth. Grab my favorite peppermint essential oil HERE!
Happy brushing and flossing! xx
Dr Axe, Reuters (2008), Fluoride Action Network (2006), Deseret Essence
This page provides information from my personal experience and education only. It is not to be considered medical advice. I’ve tried my best to keep the information contained in this post as accurate and updated as possible, but I make no guarantee of the accurateness of the same.